01 May 2007

DECORATING A TABLE LAMP

DECORATING A TABLE LAMP
I wanted to have an ethnic vintage looking expensive bedside lamp, but the ones I saw in the market were all either very expensive or so common that you see them in many houses, that set me thinking. I wanted to have something unique and classic looking. Something dressy but at the same time sober not to jazzy. I thought why not buy a new lampshade for my existing lamp, I bought the cheapest lampshade available in the market, I bought a white shade so it can give me more scope to experiment. After this I bought cheap decorative stones and some crystal beads with metal wires from a Dollar 2 craft store and started about this humble project of mine. I stuck the decorative stones in a pattern over the lamp shade and using the metal strings, I hung the beautiful crystal beads by pricking the lamp shade with the strings and lo and behold I had a vintage lamp shade which resembles no other lampshades that we see in other people’s houses. I have something which doesn’t look like it’s bought from a store but a designer piece. The white shade brings out more light. The beautiful brown stones turn into gold when the light is on and the beads which are in shades of white, brown and gold not only scatter the light but throw it into beautiful hues of white gold, bronze and gold. This makes the room look rich and vibrant, very Victorian, very Classic. The lamp looks like something that befits a King’s castle.
You can dress lamps with fabric, stones, beads etc and make a simple shade very contemporary. Not only does it exuberate your personal style but also it enhances the look of your room by making a statement. They are the perfect way to create mood and glamour in your décor.

No comments: